Skip to content ↓

Physical Education

Vision Statement:

In Physical Education, students develop advanced skills and apply them to a variety of situations and sports; they lead their peers and take on roles and responsibilities to build character and resilience. 

We want our students to understand how the body is made and how it is affected by physical activity as well. This is all to inspire them to look after their bodies by continuing physical activity all the way through their lives. 

Staffing List 2019-20

Mr J. Smith  Head of P.E.
Mr K. Alderman  Teacher of P.E. / Head of Year 11
Mrs N. Chewins  Teacher of P.E.
Mrs L. Harper  Teacher of P.E. / Head of Year 9
Mr J. Lovegrove  Teacher of P.E. / Inclusion and Engagement Leader
Mrs E. Parry  Teacher of P.E. and Dance
Mr A Tiley   Teacher of P.E. and Science / Head of Year 8
Mrs E. Vallance  Teacher of P.E.
Miss S Yacoby  Teacher of P.E. and Maths / Head of Year 10
Miss R. Stanborough  Trainee P.E. Teacher

Curriculum in detail - KS3

At Testbourne we focus on a knowledge based curriculum where students will learn about their bodies and how they are affected by participation in physical activity throughout KS3. It is important for them to know this for their physical wellbeing outside of school. It also gives them a strong base of knowledge if students choose to take PE at GCSE level. They will learn about: 

  • The muscular system 
  • The skeletal system 
  • How to prepare for physical activity 
  • How energy is supplied to the body 
  • How to avoid injury during physical activity 

This knowledge is taught through a broad and balanced variety of sporting activities through year 7,8 & 9: 











Table Tennis 


Ultimate Frisbee 

Curriculum in detail - KS4

In core PE, we continue to offer a wide variety of activities that look at the different reasons for Sport & Physical activity. This brings in more recreational or fitness activities including the use of the school’s fitness suite. Students are offered autonomy to decide what activities they take part in to match their own reasons for participating in physical activity. 


GCSE specifications

At Testbourne, students who decide to take part in PE at exam level complete the AQA GCSE PE qualification. The assessment opportunities are based around 60% theory in the form of 2 exam papers at the end of year 11. The remaining 40% is assessed through their ability in practical sports (30%) and also a player analysis and evaluation written piece of coursework (10%). For more details, the specification is below: 

Information on GCSE Practical PE
We recently ran a parents/carers information evening about the requirements of the practical coursework. Please note the sample video’s which were shown during the evening will not work in this video but are available via PE department SharePoint. Please find the video here.

Resources to support my child

All Testbourne students are provided with an Everlearner account which is an online learning platform that is incredibly useful to improve retrieval and consolidate learning from lessons. To see what Everlearner is all about then please visit this link (external link) 


How can I support my child at home?

It is important that students are encouraged to take part in physical activity and sport in school and outside of school as children and young adults should be taking part in at least 1 hour of exercise every day! 

This could be by taking them to local sports clubs for a more structured and organised environment. On the other hand, it could be simply going on a walk, run or cycle with them to ensure that they are staying physically active. 

As well as this, a knowledge of sporting news is also important so talking about the goings-on in the world and keeping up to date with sporting headlines is also important. 

Extra-curricular activities


We have a large number of extracurricular activities on offer throughout the year which are for anybody to attend regardless of ability. 



Further information

For more details, please contact Mr Smith, Head of Physical Education, at: